AutoVac Industrial Vacuum & Air Systems Helps Customers Achieve New Levels Of Productivity
IGT Cleans Up its Las Vegas Assembly Line with Energy and Cost Efficient Central Vacuum System
International Game Technology
Manufacturing giant International Game Technology (IGT) is a world leader in manufacturing processes and profitability. When the Las Vegas, NV division began designing its new 850,000-square foot facility, management realized it was time for change. Staff members were ready to trade in their brooms, dustpans, and portable vacuums for a powerful central vacuum system.
Design and implement a cost effective method of removing debris from multiple work stations along 2,000+ linear feet of assembly line.
IGT's Production Division in Las Vegas runs two shifts of technicians who deconstruct slot machines then reassemble the components with new materials to produce functional gaming devices. The process results in a multitude of loose screws, metal shavings, nuts, bolts and plastic fittings.
Debris littered workstations and the existing decentralized debris collection process resulted in costly workflow inefficiencies. Debris worked its way into slot machines and into the conveyor system. Technicians handpicked wayward parts out of machines and brushed debris away from the conveyor. The result: expensive workflow stoppages and increased finished goods cycle time.
Their quick-fix solution consisting of shop-vac style vacuums proved costly and ineffective. These portable off-the-shelf units required frequent personal maintenance offered a very short life expectancy and required cumbersome electrical cords.
The AutoVac Solution
Install an energy-conscious 50hp central vacuum system that provides powerful suction to 33 vacuum stations at the point of process.
The AutoVac Industrial (AVI) team worked closely with IGT engineers and end users to identify process inefficiencies and determine the source of work stoppage. AVI then engineered a central vacuum system that would integrate with individual assembly line stations and enhance IGT's existing production process.
The system was custom engineered, manufactured and installed by AVI and includes: two 25hp centrifugal exhausters, four separators, 2,000+ linear feet of piping, 33 vacuum stations, Vacuum IQ motor controls, and Vacuum Logic remote monitoring software.
Suction is piped from the exhausters to individual vacuum stations to provide vacuum on demand at the point of process. As air returns to the exhausters, debris is filtered from the air stream by two primary separators on the assembly line floor and two additional hopper-style separators at the exhausters.
To ensure maximum energy efficiency, the vacuum producers are controlled by AVI's Vacuum IQ program. Its variable frequency drive technology and customized software work dynamically with the exhausters' motors to ensure optimum energy efficiency. The software constantly monitors demand for suction along the assembly line and adjusts the frequency of the motors so the suction produced always matches vacuum demand, thereby maximizing the system's electrical efficiency.
Vacuum Logic management software allows authorized personnel to monitor and manipulate the entire system remotely via internet connection. Parameters can be set for multiple shifts so the system runs during designated hours and then automatically powers off. Vacuum Logic's proactive maintenance software notifies personnel in real time whenever the system requires attention.
Features and Equipment
- Two 600Series AutoVac centrifugaexhausters, 25hp each.
- One 600Series Pulse Jet Filter Separator (hopper style) with 50 gallon debris collector fitted with quick disconnect and self-cleaning pulse-jet technology.
- One 600Series Centrifugal Primary Separator with 50 gallon debris collector and quick disconnect.
- Two Primary Pre-Filter Separators at each disassembly conveyor for large debris removal before air enters main overhead piping.
- Custom engineered piping system with No-Clog technology, consisting of more than 2,000 linar feet.
- 33 Vacuum Stations located along assembly line consisting of ergonomic hose assemblies, nozzles and custom hangers designed and manufactured by AVI enginering team.
- Vacuum IQ motor control with variable frequency drive technology and proprietary software.
- Vacuum Logic remote monitoring software program
- Increased worker efficiency and improved manufacturing cycle time.
- Visibly increased employee focus and productivity.
- Reduced man hours required to collect, relocate and remove debris.
- Created cleaner, safer work environment.
- Improved quality control.
- Enhanced overall plant efficiency through simplified housekeeping
"AVI's central vacuum system seamlessly integrated with our manufacturing process, I couldn't imagine running our assembly line without it."
- Diego Montoya,IGT Sr. Manufacturing Engineer
Built for Today, Ready for Tomorrow... AVI designs its systems with an eye on the future. IGT's robust central vacuum system is fully operational at today's capacity, with the flexibility to grow as throughput demands increase
Download the International Game Technology Case Study (PDF - 263KB)
back to top
AutoVac works with Budget Car Rental to Upgrade its Central Vacuum System
Budget Car Rental
Budget Car Rental at McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas, prepared to relocate their support services from existing facilities to a new Consolidated Car Rental Facility (CCRF). They needed an energy-efficient, cost-effective central vacuum system that would keep pace with a high volume of rental car returns.
Design and implement a highly efficient and cost-effective central vacuum system for Budget's new Consolidated Car Rental Facility.
After 10 years of use, the original AutoVac central vacuum system was still fully operational but outdated. The system consisted of three separate vacuum systems which had to be turned on and off manually as business fluctuated. Productivity suffered and costly energy bills cut into profits. Moving into a new facility, Budget wanted a state-of-the-art system that would maximize productivity and minimize operating costs.
The AutoVac Solution
Install a highly efficient, reliable central vacuum system that serves up to 33 hoses and 22 simultaneous users while consuming a fraction of the energy as the old system.
Working closely with Budget's planning group, AutoVac designed an extremely energy efficient, user friendly central vacuum system that automatically adjusts to traffic flow. Two new 25 hp Hi-Flow turbines provide Vacuum-on-Demand to as many as 22 simultaneous users. These turbines supply suction to one precision engineered piping system so any of the 33 hose drops along the line can be used at any given time. This flexibility allows employees to pull a car up to any unoccupied vacuum station, eliminating delays and expediting the process.
Three detailing stations are conveniently tied to the same central vacuum system to allow for wet extraction after carpets are shampooed. Piping is also integrated with fueling islands so cars can be refueled while being vacuumed. This parallel tasking increases throughput and simplifies staffing requirements.
The key to the system's energy efficiency is AutoVac's advanced motor control technology - Vacuum IQ. To ensure maximum energy efficiency, the vacuum producers are controlled by AutoVac's Vacuum IQ program. Vacuum IQ's variable frequency drive technology and customized software work dynamically with the exhausters' motors to ensure optimum energy efficiency. The Vacuum IQ software constantly monitors demand for suction along the line and adjusts the frequency of the motors so the suction produced always matches vacuum demand, thereby maximizing the system's electrical efficiency.Vacuum Logic management software allows authorized personnel to monitor and manipulate the entire system remotely via internet connection. Parameters can be set for multiple shifts so the system runs during designated hours and then automatically powers off. Vacuum Logic's proactive maintenance software notifies personnel in real time whenever the system requires attention.
Operating Conditions Call for Special Considerations
Like so many Las Vegas businesses, Budget's McCarran Airport operation is open 24 hours a day, every day, to accommodate around-the-clock travelers. Employees and equipment face extreme temperatures that fluctuate dramatically. Summer afternoons can soar past 120 degrees Fahrenheit while winter nights plummet to single digits. AutoVac installed powerful air coolers in the motor control cabinets to keep equipment running smoothly.
- Two 25 hp 600Series AutoVac centrifugal exhausters
- One 600Series Filter Separator
- One 600Series Centrifugal Primary Separator
- Custom engineered piping system with No-Clog technology, consisting ofmore than 1,000 linear feet.
- Vacuum drops located along eight vacuum lanes, integrated with 12 fueling and three detailing stations.
- Custom hangers designed and manufactured by AutoVac engineering team as well as ergonomic hose assemblies, nozzles and stanchions.
- Vacuum IQ motor control with variable frequency drive technology andproprietary software.
- Vacuum Logic remote monitoring software program.
- System operates at 79 decibels at 10 feet while operating at full speed, 72 decibels at idle with Vacuum IQ.
- Reduced energy consumption
- Improved process throughput
- Increased productivity
- Lowered operating cost
- Efficient 24 hour operation
"Our new AutoVac vacuum system now operates 24/7 and serves three times as many users at a fraction of the previous operating costs."
- Steve Badilla,
Download the Budget Car Rental Case Study (PDF - 229KB)
back to top